We’re longing for the post-pandemic era but life changed drastically, so we take this opportunity to rethink one subject at the time. While waiting for freedom to set in again, let’s create the ultimate post-pandemic artist-in-residency together!
How do you set up an artist-in-residency as a curator or artist? How can you make an art residency sustainable, inclusive and connected to the local (art) community? What are the possibilities for young artists and how do you find the perfect residency and prepare an application? What do young artists want to get out of a residency and how can artist-run residencies cater to their needs? We need your opinion an insights, let’s discuss!
Join us at TIP-OFF #5: CREATING ART RESIDENCIES with Ayo, Arda van Tiggelen, Tom van Veen, DutchCulture | TransArtists, Pedreira - Experimental Artistic Residency and de Nieuwkomers, all moderated by Fenne Saedt in the online realm, on Monday May 10 - 20:00 CEST (GMT +2).
You can enter the online zoom via: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5753524808
- Curator Arda van Tiggelen will talk about the traveling artist-in-residency on the Trans-Siberian railway, that she is currently developing together with performance artist Natalia Papaeva. Besides presenting the first draft of this exciting project to you, she is interested in a critical discussion of the AIR system in terms of sustainability and inclusivity. And she wants your opinion too!
- DutchCulture | TransArtists combines and shares knowledge and experience on artist-in-residence programmes and other international opportunities for creative professionals to temporarily stay and work elsewhere. At Tip-off, Lotte Geeven will offer you all the facts. tips and tricks for international artist-in-residence opportunities. Ask it all!
- Pedreira and de Nieuwkomers, two recently founded artist-run residencies will discuss their goals, the incentive to start an art residency, how they made it work and what they get out of it. They are also curious: what do you want to get out of an artist-run residency?
- De Nieuwkomers is an art and research centre based in Zeeland (NL), founded by three young female artists. They focus on searching for alternative ways of living and invite guests – artists, construction workers, children – to exchange ideas about how things can be done differently. They always create something together with their resident.
- Pedreira, an experimental platform for artistic residencies and art education services, was recently founded in Porto (PT) by artists and creators Marina and Carolina. They envision Pedreira as a transdisciplinary methodology. A philosophy, a way of thinking and living as it is a platform. Every invited artist brings something new to the community/platform and contributes to the residency space in their own way.
- Tom van Veen is a Dutch artist, lecturer, writer, podcast maker and curator. At the moment his exhibition Unknown Legend is on view at Melkweg Expo, where he also residents. At Tip-off he’ll offer you an insight into his process and share his thoughts about his upcoming residency in Martch Art Project, Turkey.
- Artist Ayo is participating in the Triangle – Astérides residency program in Marseilles (FR) right now! She’ll lift the veil on her current practice as an active resident. Ayo's artistic practice predominantly consists of research projects which shape shift into film, sculpture, sound and performance. Her projects often start from the personal and specific; favouring relation-making with various bodies and geographies with whom she seeks out counter narratives, fictions, pleasurable and uncomfortable ways of (re)telling histories.
- Graphic designer duo Sjors Bazelier and Elene Hulleman will capture everything discussed at Tip-off live in a visually arresting graphic piece. They’ll present the result with the most striking remarks, quotes, tips & tricks to you at the end of the evening.
TIP-OFF wants to inspire young artists and provide them with tips & tricks for their career. Let’s talk about what’s going on in the art world or more importantly: what’s more to discover. Connect to other artists and help each other out. Join us Monday May 10 in the online realm.
TIP-OFF is supported by the Mondriaan Fund and the Pictoright Fund.